New rules for airlines for passengers with disabilities
A new set of measures have to be taken by airlines for passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility.
From now on, it is the responsibility of the person with disability or reduced mobility to inform the airlines 48 hours before their flight time of what they need so that the airline can makes necessary arrangements.
Airlines will also have to provide all assistive devices free of cost to passengers with disabilities. Domestic airlines had earlier opposed this and requested the government to charge a nominal fee for providing devices like an ambulift and wheelchairs.
To make sure that the safety of operations is not affected, the maximum number of passengers with disabilities on a flight cannot be more than the number of cabin crew unless the passengers are accompanied by trained escorts.
Airports must also reserve parking spaces close to the terminal building for persons with disability and provide ramps at least at the main entrance or exit gates.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 16, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News