New rules for airlines for passengers with disabilities
July 16, 2016
A new set of measures have to be taken by airlines for passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility.
From now on, it is the responsibility of the person with disability or reduced mobility to inform the airlines 48 hours before their flight time of what they need so that the airline can makes necessary arrangements.
Airlines will also have to provide all assistive devices free of cost to passengers with disabilities. Domestic airlines had earlier opposed this and requested the government to charge a nominal fee for providing devices like an ambulift and wheelchairs.
To make sure that the safety of operations is not affected, the maximum number of passengers with disabilities on a flight cannot be more than the number of cabin crew unless the passengers are accompanied by trained escorts.
Airports must also reserve parking spaces close to the terminal building for persons with disability and provide ramps at least at the main entrance or exit gates.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News