New rules for airlines for passengers with disabilities
July 16, 2016
A new set of measures have to be taken by airlines for passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility.
From now on, it is the responsibility of the person with disability or reduced mobility to inform the airlines 48 hours before their flight time of what they need so that the airline can makes necessary arrangements.
Airlines will also have to provide all assistive devices free of cost to passengers with disabilities. Domestic airlines had earlier opposed this and requested the government to charge a nominal fee for providing devices like an ambulift and wheelchairs.
To make sure that the safety of operations is not affected, the maximum number of passengers with disabilities on a flight cannot be more than the number of cabin crew unless the passengers are accompanied by trained escorts.
Airports must also reserve parking spaces close to the terminal building for persons with disability and provide ramps at least at the main entrance or exit gates.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News