International airports in India to be checked for accessibility
July 17, 2016
Twenty-two international airports in India will soon be audited to check if they are friendly for people with disabilities.
This is the first time a check is being done at international airport terminals to study the barriers that make travel inconvenient for people with disabilities.
Major airports to be modified so they are accessible
This is part of the government's Accessible India campaign aimed at achieving universal accessibility. Airports will be evaluated for width of doorways, ramps, tactile flooring, adaptation of toilets for wheelchair users, braille symbols and auditory signals in elevators.
An airport will be considered accessible only if people with disabilities face no barrier in entry and are able to use all facilities, including for boarding and getting off from flights.
After international airports, domestic will also be checked.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News