International airports in India to be checked for accessibility
Twenty-two international airports in India will soon be audited to check if they are friendly for people with disabilities.
This is the first time a check is being done at international airport terminals to study the barriers that make travel inconvenient for people with disabilities.
Major airports to be modified so they are accessible
This is part of the government's Accessible India campaign aimed at achieving universal accessibility. Airports will be evaluated for width of doorways, ramps, tactile flooring, adaptation of toilets for wheelchair users, braille symbols and auditory signals in elevators.
An airport will be considered accessible only if people with disabilities face no barrier in entry and are able to use all facilities, including for boarding and getting off from flights.
After international airports, domestic will also be checked.
Watch in Sign Language
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News