Mirchi & Mime – Where the Food Speaks for Itself – My Take
July 30, 2016
I believe that with any idea or initiative, it is essential to be a part of a profitable business to sustain and survive. At Mirchi and Mime we constantly remind ourselves of the same.
Often, I am asked to describe Mirchi and Mime and I rattle off the following statement that clearly explains our approach - "A stylish dining space, which happens to be serving cutting edge Indian food, which happens to be served by speech and hearing impaired individuals."
Our company's two core values, which we gained from our college are that character and honesty are as important as capability, and that wealth creation is important for society as a whole, not just for individuals.
I must admit, it has been challenging, be it convincing parents, developing a simple, effective technique for orders, getting the team trained to taking orders correctly and repeating it back, from learning sign language and to gaining acceptance in their world. But then who says anything is easy in the first place.
In my over twenty years in the restaurant business, I have launched and operated restaurants in India and in the UK. I have always found it a challenge to get the staff to smile.
Our team possess three qualities that are important in hospitality - smile, focus and sensitivity. These give them an advantage over the speech and hearing-abled in the industry. All we had to do was to replace verbal communication with visual communication.
About The Writer
Prashant Issar is the co-founder of Mirchi and Mime along with Anuj Shah. He has been involved in ideating and operating restaurants across India and in London.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News