Mumbai duo win gold at the National Judo competition for the blind
The Maharashtra Blind and Para Judo Association dominated the recently held national-level Judo competition organised in Lucknow by the Indian Blind and Para Judo Association. Jaydeep Singh of Mumbai won the gold medal in the 66 Kg weight category, while Mahesh Mhabdi won gold in the 55 Kg weight category. Maharashtra also won silver and bronze in the 73 Kg category: Manjeet Kank from Pune won the silver, and Mahesh Yadav from Mumbai won bronze.
We talked to Mahesh Mhabdi after his impressive win. Mahesh is with BarrierBreak Solutions Pvt. Ltd an organization that works in the field of accessibility and assistive technology.When asked how he got hooked to judo, Mahesh told Newzhook “I got to know about it in the Happy Home and School for the Blind when I was 15 years old. Four years ago, I met Jaydeep Singh who encouraged me to take it up seriously.”
Mahesh's goal is to represent India in the Paralympic Games.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News