Mumbai duo win gold at the National Judo competition for the blind
February 26, 2016
The Maharashtra Blind and Para Judo Association dominated the recently held national-level Judo competition organised in Lucknow by the Indian Blind and Para Judo Association. Jaydeep Singh of Mumbai won the gold medal in the 66 Kg weight category, while Mahesh Mhabdi won gold in the 55 Kg weight category. Maharashtra also won silver and bronze in the 73 Kg category: Manjeet Kank from Pune won the silver, and Mahesh Yadav from Mumbai won bronze.
We talked to Mahesh Mhabdi after his impressive win. Mahesh is with BarrierBreak Solutions Pvt. Ltd an organization that works in the field of accessibility and assistive technology.When asked how he got hooked to judo, Mahesh told Newzhook "I got to know about it in the Happy Home and School for the Blind when I was 15 years old. Four years ago, I met Jaydeep Singh who encouraged me to take it up seriously."
Mahesh's goal is to represent India in the Paralympic Games.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News