Mumbai duo win gold at the National Judo competition for the blind
February 26, 2016
The Maharashtra Blind and Para Judo Association dominated the recently held national-level Judo competition organised in Lucknow by the Indian Blind and Para Judo Association. Jaydeep Singh of Mumbai won the gold medal in the 66 Kg weight category, while Mahesh Mhabdi won gold in the 55 Kg weight category. Maharashtra also won silver and bronze in the 73 Kg category: Manjeet Kank from Pune won the silver, and Mahesh Yadav from Mumbai won bronze.
We talked to Mahesh Mhabdi after his impressive win. Mahesh is with BarrierBreak Solutions Pvt. Ltd an organization that works in the field of accessibility and assistive technology.When asked how he got hooked to judo, Mahesh told Newzhook "I got to know about it in the Happy Home and School for the Blind when I was 15 years old. Four years ago, I met Jaydeep Singh who encouraged me to take it up seriously."
Mahesh's goal is to represent India in the Paralympic Games.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Accessibility April 23, 2019 Chennai airport's new terminal to show a disabled-friendly, accessible face
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Employment April 23, 2019 Finding right jobs still remains a struggle for adults with autism
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Sri Lanka declares emergency, Islamist group identified
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News