Special services for the disabled and aged in 2016 Railway Budget
February 25, 2016
The 2016 Railway Budget has taken into consideration needs of the disabled and the aged. The Sarathi Seva that was started in the Konkan Railway to provide assistance to old and disabled passengers at stations will be extended to more stations. In this, a wheelchair along with an helper is provided free of cost to physically challenged passengers at nominated stations from coach to exit and back. Also, all A1 stations will have at least one toilet built which is accessible to the physically challenged.
Services like battery operated cars, porter and wheelchair services will be strengthened. All new railway stations will be built as per Accessible India guidelines so they are physically accessible to people with disabilities.
Seat quota for senior citizens has been increased by 50%. Quota of lower berth seats for the elderly has also been increased by the same. There are plans to install GPS-based digital display in all coaches giving details like upcoming stations which will benefit the hearing-impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News