Special services for the disabled and aged in 2016 Railway Budget
February 25, 2016
The 2016 Railway Budget has taken into consideration needs of the disabled and the aged. The Sarathi Seva that was started in the Konkan Railway to provide assistance to old and disabled passengers at stations will be extended to more stations. In this, a wheelchair along with an helper is provided free of cost to physically challenged passengers at nominated stations from coach to exit and back. Also, all A1 stations will have at least one toilet built which is accessible to the physically challenged.
Services like battery operated cars, porter and wheelchair services will be strengthened. All new railway stations will be built as per Accessible India guidelines so they are physically accessible to people with disabilities.
Seat quota for senior citizens has been increased by 50%. Quota of lower berth seats for the elderly has also been increased by the same. There are plans to install GPS-based digital display in all coaches giving details like upcoming stations which will benefit the hearing-impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News