Special services for the disabled and aged in 2016 Railway Budget
The 2016 Railway Budget has taken into consideration needs of the disabled and the aged. The Sarathi Seva that was started in the Konkan Railway to provide assistance to old and disabled passengers at stations will be extended to more stations. In this, a wheelchair along with an helper is provided free of cost to physically challenged passengers at nominated stations from coach to exit and back. Also, all A1 stations will have at least one toilet built which is accessible to the physically challenged.
Services like battery operated cars, porter and wheelchair services will be strengthened. All new railway stations will be built as per Accessible India guidelines so they are physically accessible to people with disabilities.
Seat quota for senior citizens has been increased by 50%. Quota of lower berth seats for the elderly has also been increased by the same. There are plans to install GPS-based digital display in all coaches giving details like upcoming stations which will benefit the hearing-impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News