Mobility solutions for people with disabilities - My Take
August 31, 2016
I always had a passion for cars and could not imagine anyone missing out on the joy of driving. I started off by modifying a car for a friend and then experimented on my own car. Then I took it forward by doing this for friends. Soon, people with all types of requirements started reaching out. I felt there was an unmet need and that I must do what I enjoy doing, which is reach out to people with disabilities.
Many think that people with disabilities cannot drive. They are, in fact, among the safest drivers because they know the value of driving. I spent a lot of time researching and innovating with my car and making hand controls so the disabled could drive. Many friends used to think I was crazy. But l wanted to create something new. There was no one to fund my work, so it took a while to come up with a model.
Modifying each vehicle is a challenge. So far we adapted almost every car model. We give people with disabilities the pleasure to drive the vehicle of their choice with dignity and help improve quality of life. We give them mobility of their choice.
The cost is anywhere between Rs 9500-45,000. There is a 100% exemption on road tax and 50% exemption on insurance. We are always there to support, suggest and help.
When you hand over the finished vehicle, it is a moment of emotion, of pure joy that you have to experience to understand. There have been special moments, like meeting Professor Stephan Hawking for whom I built a customized accessible vehicle. Doing a vehicle for him was glory to our country.
We also make seats for children with cerebral palsy, swimming pool cranes, and also import devices to help people with disabilities enter swimming polls and the sea. There are devices that help them to go trekking and portable ramps. We help make dreams a reality.
About the Writer
Dr. Ferdinand Rodricks has over 30 years experience adapting vehicles and devices for people with various disabilities. He can be reached at www.MobilityEnhanced.com.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News