Mobility solutions for people with disabilities - My Take
August 31, 2016
I always had a passion for cars and could not imagine anyone missing out on the joy of driving. I started off by modifying a car for a friend and then experimented on my own car. Then I took it forward by doing this for friends. Soon, people with all types of requirements started reaching out. I felt there was an unmet need and that I must do what I enjoy doing, which is reach out to people with disabilities.
Many think that people with disabilities cannot drive. They are, in fact, among the safest drivers because they know the value of driving. I spent a lot of time researching and innovating with my car and making hand controls so the disabled could drive. Many friends used to think I was crazy. But l wanted to create something new. There was no one to fund my work, so it took a while to come up with a model.
Modifying each vehicle is a challenge. So far we adapted almost every car model. We give people with disabilities the pleasure to drive the vehicle of their choice with dignity and help improve quality of life. We give them mobility of their choice.
The cost is anywhere between Rs 9500-45,000. There is a 100% exemption on road tax and 50% exemption on insurance. We are always there to support, suggest and help.
When you hand over the finished vehicle, it is a moment of emotion, of pure joy that you have to experience to understand. There have been special moments, like meeting Professor Stephan Hawking for whom I built a customized accessible vehicle. Doing a vehicle for him was glory to our country.
We also make seats for children with cerebral palsy, swimming pool cranes, and also import devices to help people with disabilities enter swimming polls and the sea. There are devices that help them to go trekking and portable ramps. We help make dreams a reality.
About the Writer
Dr. Ferdinand Rodricks has over 30 years experience adapting vehicles and devices for people with various disabilities. He can be reached at www.MobilityEnhanced.com.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News