India’s Rio Paralympians – Rampal Chahar
September 12, 2016
27-year old Rampal Chahar is a para high-jumper who aspires to make India proud at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
Rampal hails from a remote village beyond Sonipat, Haryana.
At the age of four, Rampal met with an accident which resulted in partial amputation of his right arm.
Rampal had a keen interest in sports since his school days and often undertook training in high jump and casually competed with other athletes.
However, failing to see a career in sports, he switched his focus to education and after his higher secondary, he completed a Polytechnic Diploma.
His life took a drastic turn when he met fellow para athlete Amit Saroha whom he now considers as his role model.
Amit Saroha, a Paralympian and an Arjuna Awardee, encouraged Rampal to join para sports.
Rampal's focus, hardwork and determination supported him to win a gold medal with national record in high jump.
He also won a gold medal in his very first international tournament at the IPC Grand Prix in Tunisia with a jump of 1.85 m.
With the training and support of his coach Subash Sarkar, Rampal hopes to win at the Rio Games.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News