India’s Rio Paralympians – Sharad Kumar
High jump athlete Sharad Kumar who is from Bengaluru has set his sights on a gold medal at the upcoming Rio Paralympic Games.
Sharad has won a gold medal in the Asian Para Games 2014 and ranked sixth in the 2015 World Championships.
A polio attack at the age of two led to a paralysis in Sharad's left leg. His brother noticed his interest in sports and encouraged him to participate in high-jump events in school where he broke all the records and got the confidence to take up the sport seriously.
Sharad calls his coach, Satyanarayan, and his parents the most influential people in his career.
Sharad has also experienced the challenges of being a sportsperson when he tested positive for a banned substance in 2012 and missed the chance to compete in the London Paralympics. He says his faith in himself and the passion for sports has made him stronger and more focused on giving his best.
He also holds a Masters degree in politics from New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Watch in Sign Language
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
- Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 9, 2019 Race For 7
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Kangana Ranaut lashes out Alia Bhatt
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Parasports February 9, 2019 Aspiring wheelchair cricketers in Karnataka, here is your chance to shine
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Udaan Idol Little Champs, Radio Udaan's annual music competition for disabled kids attracts huge response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News