India’s Rio Paralympians – Sharad Kumar
September 2, 2016
High jump athlete Sharad Kumar who is from Bengaluru has set his sights on a gold medal at the upcoming Rio Paralympic Games.
Sharad has won a gold medal in the Asian Para Games 2014 and ranked sixth in the 2015 World Championships.
A polio attack at the age of two led to a paralysis in Sharad's left leg. His brother noticed his interest in sports and encouraged him to participate in high-jump events in school where he broke all the records and got the confidence to take up the sport seriously.
Sharad calls his coach, Satyanarayan, and his parents the most influential people in his career.
Sharad has also experienced the challenges of being a sportsperson when he tested positive for a banned substance in 2012 and missed the chance to compete in the London Paralympics. He says his faith in himself and the passion for sports has made him stronger and more focused on giving his best.
He also holds a Masters degree in politics from New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Get-hooked June 9, 2019 Sportsperson & businesswoman, Geetha Chauhan excels at all that she does
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Parasports June 9, 2019 Thane witnesses first ever wheelchair race today
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News