India’s Rio Paralympians – Sharad Kumar
September 2, 2016
High jump athlete Sharad Kumar who is from Bengaluru has set his sights on a gold medal at the upcoming Rio Paralympic Games.
Sharad has won a gold medal in the Asian Para Games 2014 and ranked sixth in the 2015 World Championships.
A polio attack at the age of two led to a paralysis in Sharad's left leg. His brother noticed his interest in sports and encouraged him to participate in high-jump events in school where he broke all the records and got the confidence to take up the sport seriously.
Sharad calls his coach, Satyanarayan, and his parents the most influential people in his career.
Sharad has also experienced the challenges of being a sportsperson when he tested positive for a banned substance in 2012 and missed the chance to compete in the London Paralympics. He says his faith in himself and the passion for sports has made him stronger and more focused on giving his best.
He also holds a Masters degree in politics from New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News