India’s Rio Paralympians – Pooja
August 31, 2016
26-year-old Pooja from Rohtak, Haryana, has created history by becoming the first para archer from India to qualify for the 2016 Rio Paralympics archery event.
Eldest of four children, Pooja is the daughter of a bin collector-turned-scrap vendor. She got polio at the age of three that affected her legs.
Due to sheer hard work and determination, Pooja completed her education from a government school and is pursuing her masters degree with the help of scholarship funds.
Pooja was a discus thrower but couldn't see much potential in it and decided to take up archery three years ago.
As she is from a humble background, Pooja says she has received a lot of support from her coach Sanjay Suhag to take up archery as it is an expensive sport. He has given her all the required facilities and training related to the sport.
Pooja won a gold medal in the Senior Para National Archery Championship recently. She has also won at various national and international archery events.
She aims to not give up until she wins a medal for India at the Rio Paralympic Games.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News