Tech enables Rio's Paralympians to better their game
From a wheelchair built using Formula One techniques to a swimming cap that tells blind swimmers when to turn via a smartphone, technology and sport have come together in a major way in the Rio Paralympics.
The technology has enabled these sportspersons to challenge, and even out-compete, their able-bodied counterparts.
Last year, German long jumper Markus Rehm set a world record that would have comfortably won him gold in the Rio Olympics. He is hoping to compete alongside non-disabled athletes at the World Championships in London next year.
With 3D printing, athletes can get customized fittings that allow those with impairments to better distribute their muscle power.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019