This blind photographer shoots with his heart
Among the many thousands of photographers at the Rio Paralympics 2016, one stood head and shoulders above the rest.
That was Joao Maia. Maia, who is blind, did not miss a single expression of a perfect jump. How does he do it? Maia's answer is simple - his eyes are in his heart.
No one who looks at Maia's pictures would imagine that he is blind. Maia went blind when he was 28 years old after after he suffered uveitis, an inflammation of the eye. He was unable to see anything more than shapes and some colors at a close distance.
Maia, who is from Brazil, worked as a postman for a while and learned how to use a cane. He also took classes in Braille and eventually got interested in photography.
Maia started with a traditional camera but now depends on a latest generation smartphone. He says it has excellent focusing. He has two people who help him with some assignments. He says they help him editing, which he cannot do and also put his pictures up on social networks.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019