Mariyappan Thangavelu to be flagbearer in Paralympics closing ceremony
September 13, 2016
M Thangavelu, who became the third Indian to clinch a gold medal in the Paralympics, will be India's flag-bearer at the closing ceremony of the Rio Games on 18 September.
Thangavelu, who lost his right leg when he was five years old to a speeding bus, won the gold medal in the T-42 High Jump event with a best effort of 1.89 m.
He beat world champion Sam Grewe of the US. The T-42 classification is for athletes with lower limb deficiency, leg length difference, reduced muscle power or weakened range of movement.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News