Mariyappan Thangavelu to be flagbearer in Paralympics closing ceremony
M Thangavelu, who became the third Indian to clinch a gold medal in the Paralympics, will be India's flag-bearer at the closing ceremony of the Rio Games on 18 September.
Thangavelu, who lost his right leg when he was five years old to a speeding bus, won the gold medal in the T-42 High Jump event with a best effort of 1.89 m.
He beat world champion Sam Grewe of the US. The T-42 classification is for athletes with lower limb deficiency, leg length difference, reduced muscle power or weakened range of movement.
Watch in Sign Language
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
- Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News