Mariyappan Thangavelu to be flagbearer in Paralympics closing ceremony
September 13, 2016
M Thangavelu, who became the third Indian to clinch a gold medal in the Paralympics, will be India's flag-bearer at the closing ceremony of the Rio Games on 18 September.
Thangavelu, who lost his right leg when he was five years old to a speeding bus, won the gold medal in the T-42 High Jump event with a best effort of 1.89 m.
He beat world champion Sam Grewe of the US. The T-42 classification is for athletes with lower limb deficiency, leg length difference, reduced muscle power or weakened range of movement.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar will not be replaced, says Virat Kohli
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Parasports June 9, 2019 Thane witnesses first ever wheelchair race today
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 9, 2019 Understanding Bipolar Disorder
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News