Paralympians deserve highest recognitions and awards, says Milkha Singh
September 17, 2016
India's most famous athlete Milkha Singh says that the paralympians deserve the highest recognition and awards that the country can give them as they achieve against so many odds.
There has been a demand that all the medal winners at the Rio Paralympics - M Thangavelu, Varun Bhati, Deepa Malik and Devendra Jhajharia - be given the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, which is the highest sporting honour in the country.
While Olympic medalists directly qualify for the Khel Ratna award, there is no such policy in place for the paralympians.
Singh, who missed a bronze medal very closely in the 1960 Rome Olympics, congratulated all the athletes who are representing India at the Rio Paralympics for their efforts and successful performances.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News