Paralympians deserve highest recognitions and awards, says Milkha Singh
September 17, 2016
India's most famous athlete Milkha Singh says that the paralympians deserve the highest recognition and awards that the country can give them as they achieve against so many odds.
There has been a demand that all the medal winners at the Rio Paralympics - M Thangavelu, Varun Bhati, Deepa Malik and Devendra Jhajharia - be given the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, which is the highest sporting honour in the country.
While Olympic medalists directly qualify for the Khel Ratna award, there is no such policy in place for the paralympians.
Singh, who missed a bronze medal very closely in the 1960 Rome Olympics, congratulated all the athletes who are representing India at the Rio Paralympics for their efforts and successful performances.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News