Deaf shooter Priyesha Deshmukh wins bronze in international event
23-year-old Priyesha Deshmukh, a hearing impaired shooter from Pune, won a bronze medal in the 10m air rifle category at the first World Deaf Shooting Championships held in Kazan in Russia.
This was her first international event and also the first time she has played outside India.
Priyesha scored 180.4 in the final to secure the third spot, a big achievement given she started playing the sport three years back.
Priyesha has not had it easy playing this sport in India as shooting does not have a national body in the deaf category.
Her father had to struggle a lot to get the clearance for her to participate.
Priyesha is now aiming for the Deaflympics, Olympics for the deaf to be held in Turkey in 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News