Deaf man from Kenya wins international beauty contest
September 22, 2016
36-year-old Calvin Vogefu Musalia has created history by winning the Mr Deaf International 2016 title at a beauty contest held in the US.
Calvin beat 25 participants from all over the world to win the title. He had won the Mr Deaf Kenya title in 2013.
He wanted to participate in the international beauty pageant for the last three years but could not due to lack of funds and continued his work in cultural dancing and sign language poetry.
He now wants to create awareness about the rights of the deaf and the use of sign language and aims to ensure that the deaf in Kenya are independent and all public services have an interpreter for the deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News