Deaf man from Kenya wins international beauty contest
September 22, 2016
36-year-old Calvin Vogefu Musalia has created history by winning the Mr Deaf International 2016 title at a beauty contest held in the US.
Calvin beat 25 participants from all over the world to win the title. He had won the Mr Deaf Kenya title in 2013.
He wanted to participate in the international beauty pageant for the last three years but could not due to lack of funds and continued his work in cultural dancing and sign language poetry.
He now wants to create awareness about the rights of the deaf and the use of sign language and aims to ensure that the deaf in Kenya are independent and all public services have an interpreter for the deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News