Blind use brain's visual areas to solve math problems
People born without sight have been found to solve math problems using visual areas of the brain, says new research.
Human babies and even animals have a basic sense for numbers that experts believe has nothing to do with vision.
The brain network behind numerical reasoning is identical in blind and sighted people. The research also found that the visual part of the brain in blind people is highly involved in doing math, which shows that the brain is very adaptable.
The researchers tested people who were blind from birth and people with sight in blindfolds. They were asked to solve math equations and answer language questions while having a brain scan.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Employment December 5, 2018 Sign language interpreters at job interviews plays a crucial role. Here is why.
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh, pediatrician
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur restaurant managed by disabled youth
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News