Deaf centre helps parents of deaf kids communicate better
Vaani Deaf Children Foundation works with hearing impaired children and their families to help them communicate better.
Vaani, which opened its first centre in Assam in 2005, was started to not just highlight the problem of childhood deafness but also to include the parents of deaf children in the process of teaching them to communicate.
Children are taught basic mathematics, reading, writing and communication.
Vaani has centres in Assam, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Mizoram, West Bengal and Karnataka and works with children aged 0 to 14 years.
The founder of the centre Brinda Crishna says that deafness is diagnosed only around the age of 6 to 7 years and until then the child is considered ill-behaved.
It is this gap that Vaani is trying to fill by involving parents.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Technology December 17, 2018 Microsoft introduces real-time captions and translations to Skype and PowerPoint
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018