Deaf centre helps parents of deaf kids communicate better
Vaani Deaf Children Foundation works with hearing impaired children and their families to help them communicate better.
Vaani, which opened its first centre in Assam in 2005, was started to not just highlight the problem of childhood deafness but also to include the parents of deaf children in the process of teaching them to communicate.
Children are taught basic mathematics, reading, writing and communication.
Vaani has centres in Assam, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Mizoram, West Bengal and Karnataka and works with children aged 0 to 14 years.
The founder of the centre Brinda Crishna says that deafness is diagnosed only around the age of 6 to 7 years and until then the child is considered ill-behaved.
It is this gap that Vaani is trying to fill by involving parents.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019