How to make bathrooms accessible for people with disabilities
November 16, 2017
For people with physical disabilities, using a bathroom or a toilet can be a bit difficult. With a few changes, bathrooms can be made accessible.
Some steps are adding a stand on the wall that people to hold onto while sitting down on the toilet seat or changing.
Changing the heights of taps and showers so they can be easily turned on or off is also important.
The flooring should be such that falls and slips do not happen. A floor that is a little rough to the touch is better than one that is very smooth.
Before making changes to the bathroom, write down what is needed depending on the disability and then go ahead with the changes.
A seat can be added for people who cannot stand in the shower.
A few simple changes to the design makes the bathroom easy to use and is not expensive either.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News