Device that translates sound waves into vibrations
October 5, 2016
Fujitsu, a Japanese company, has developed a small device that can be worn in the hair and translates sound into vibrations.
The device is called Ontenna and the technology is very simple. It is a mike connected to an amplifier, which is connected to a motor.
The device can help the deaf understand more about the world around them. It is more useful in a quiet place as it does not indicate the difference between sounds.
So if the user is sitting at their home and the doorbell rings, the device will vibrate to the doorbell ring.
Or if someone is toasting bread and the bread pops out of the toaster, the noise will be noticed.
There is also a version of the device that can be worn like a earring.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News