Paracimber wins medal
October 12, 2016
29-year-old Manikandan Kumar has won three golds, seven silvers and a bronze for India in para-climbing.
Yet he is still waiting for official recognition as an athlete by the Indian government.
The Bengaluru-based climber is India's only para-athlete to have won 11 medals in the sport at the international level.
But so far he has got no financial support from the government or from a corporate sponsor.
Manikandan got polio when he was five years old.
Mani is now training hard for the 2020 Paralympics. He is hoping to find a sponsor who will help him train for the 2017 World ParaAthletics Championships in London.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News