Celebrating 25 years of deaf dandiya - My Take
The Garba festival was started by the Navratri Navyuvak Mandal in 1992 with the aim of bringing all our deaf friends under one roof.
This event is held every year without fail and only for the deaf community. This year we are celebrating the 25th anniversary, the sliver jubilee.
This event is so that the deaf can enjoy with their friends from different parts of India.
The hearing impaired feel the vibration of the music from their hearts and go with the flow. We do the garba based on that.
There are also games, gifts and lucky draw, food and many activities.
People get to meet their friends who live far away after a long time and enjoy doing the garba with them.
The idea is to have fun and get knowledge from different people.
About 250-300 people attend this function every year. When its a special anniversary the number rises to 500-600 people.
The response has been very positive because people say that this is the only day when they can interact with so many friends.
About the Writer
Bhumika Akolkar is with the Navratri Navyuvak Mandal in Mumbai, which has been organizing a garba festival for the deaf community since 1992. The festival is open to everyone across India.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News