Celebrating 25 years of deaf dandiya - My Take
October 31, 2016
The Garba festival was started by the Navratri Navyuvak Mandal in 1992 with the aim of bringing all our deaf friends under one roof.
This event is held every year without fail and only for the deaf community. This year we are celebrating the 25th anniversary, the sliver jubilee.
This event is so that the deaf can enjoy with their friends from different parts of India.
The hearing impaired feel the vibration of the music from their hearts and go with the flow. We do the garba based on that.
There are also games, gifts and lucky draw, food and many activities.
People get to meet their friends who live far away after a long time and enjoy doing the garba with them.
The idea is to have fun and get knowledge from different people.
About 250-300 people attend this function every year. When its a special anniversary the number rises to 500-600 people.
The response has been very positive because people say that this is the only day when they can interact with so many friends.
About the Writer
Bhumika Akolkar is with the Navratri Navyuvak Mandal in Mumbai, which has been organizing a garba festival for the deaf community since 1992. The festival is open to everyone across India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News