India's first accessible restaurant finder & menu reading app - My Take
Anyone can access GoodFoodTalks as easily as an ordinary menu.
People with vision impairments, senior citizens, or those with fading vision, dyslexia and autism are friendly by nature. They love food and like to eat out. Most important, they value their independence.
However, when they go to restaurants, their experience is not always pleasant. One of the problems they face is of reading the menu card and selecting what to order.
At first, I changed the menus of popular restaurants into Audio and Braille books. But this was very difficult to maintain over a period of time.
After research, I decided that the solution created by Matt Wadsworth in the United Kingdom is what I was looking for. Matt agreed to partner with me and now Good Food Talks is in India.
Most smartphones, tablets and computers now come with many accessibility features, including a built-in screen reader that speaks everything out loud.
GFT is using this to present menus in an easy-to-read and control format on smart phones and tablets.
Just tap the `Find restaurants near me` button or use the search feature if you are looking for a restaurant. You will get a list with address, phone number and distance from your location.
Tap on the name of a restaurant to see menu types, foods and timings. People who have limited vision, can enlarge the print and highlight buttons.
Since its launch in Delhi early this year, the app has grown to include menus of more than 500 restaurants from cities like Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Jaipur and more.
It will be launched in more cities and probably other countries. I am also looking to partner with organizations like Zomato to expand the list of menus.
About the Writer
Prashant Verma is an accessibility expert associated with several organizations. GoodFoodTalks is a web app that works on all platforms and devices. Open www.goodfoodtalks.in in any laptop, desktop, tablet or smartphone, on Android, iOS or Windows, to use it. For information, call 1800 300 20469 or email to email@example.com.
Watch in Sign Language
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019