Making Durga Puja celebrations inclusive - My Take
Durga Puja, one of the largest festivals in the world, is a celebration that is meant for all individuals - beyond language, skin colour, religious views, caste and gender.
Nearly thousands of different clubs in Kolkata organize Durga Puja.
Since 2012, the Civilian Welfare Foundation in Kolkata has been doing a unique accessibility check of popular pandals that get over four lakh visitors.
Those doing the check are state athletes with disabilities.
The aim is to claim the right to entertainment and culture for persons with disabilities. It is also to promote awareness on disability sports.
Even after informing puja organizers, our team faced discrimination at many levels.
Wheelchairs were present but not available for use. There were stairs instead of ramps at the pandals, which means people with disabilities were left out.
There needs to be greater sensitivity on the part of organizers. The government should also put up some basic rules that ensure all puja committees hold an inclusive festival.
Instead of giving awards like Most Disabled Friendly Puja, all pandals should ensure accessibility. People with disabilities have a fundamental right to enjoy the richness of the puja.
About the Writer
Dr. Shuvojit Moulik, is the founder of the Civilian Welfare Foundation in Kolkata, which has been working in the field of disability rights in West Bengal for many years. He can be reached at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019