Why the RPWD Bill matters to people with disabilities
December 15, 2016
In 1995, the Disability Act came into existence and persons with disabilities used the Act as a tool to get rights. Earlier employment was a dream but now persons with 100% blindness are working in the cadre of IAS officers.
Not only the reservation in education, even the counting of persons with disabilities in a separate column, the Accessibility India campaign and many other programmes for the empowerment of disabled persons are the outcome of the Disability Act in India.
Reviewing and updating the Act is very important. We need the new Act to ask for facilities like countrywide accessibility to information, access to all reading material present in the country.
It is not only the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment to which a disabled person can approach. There are stakeholders in all departments like health, finance, urban development, education, public works and law. These rights can only be strengthened and obtained sought with the new Disability Act.
Thus, the new Act needs to be passed on priority so that persons with disabilities will get a strong tool to fight for their rights and seek all types of facilities to live an independent life in an inclusive society.
About the Writer
Javed Ahmad Tak is the honorary chairman of the NGO Humanity Welfare Organization HELPLine in Jammu and Kashmir. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News