Why the RPWD Bill matters to people with disabilities
The new Rights of Persons with Disability (RPWD) bill is important to me because it has many more things for the empowerment of persons with disability compared to the Persons with Disability Act 1995.
Some of the things are that the number of disabilities covered have increased to 19, reservations in government jobs has increased to 7%, the setting up of a disability commission and the private sector has been brought under the ambit of the bill.
The bill has also been drafted in conformity with the United Nations convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability. So implementation-wise, the central government will be serious because they will be accountable to the UN.
This will lead to a more inclusive society as more places will become accessible and more persons with disability will be seen working in the corporate sector due to reservations.
About the Writer-
Avelino de Sa is the President of the Disability Rights Association of Goa.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News