Why the RPWD Bill matters to people with disabilities
December 16, 2016
The new Rights of Persons with Disability (RPWD) bill is important to me because it has many more things for the empowerment of persons with disability compared to the Persons with Disability Act 1995.
Some of the things are that the number of disabilities covered have increased to 19, reservations in government jobs has increased to 7%, the setting up of a disability commission and the private sector has been brought under the ambit of the bill.
The bill has also been drafted in conformity with the United Nations convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability. So implementation-wise, the central government will be serious because they will be accountable to the UN.
This will lead to a more inclusive society as more places will become accessible and more persons with disability will be seen working in the corporate sector due to reservations.
About the Writer-
Avelino de Sa is the President of the Disability Rights Association of Goa.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News