Why the RPWD matters to me
For deep-rooted permanent change to happen there is a need for updated laws and a mechanism to implement them.
Then truly differences would be leveraged as every child has an inner talent and their positives are applauded rather than be ‘labeled’ disabled.
The disabled must have equal rights to education, employment, rehabilitation, enterprise, sports, leisure and recreation, property, insurance, travel and more.
The 150 million people with disabilities in our country need to be given equal opportunity to grow and build our nation.
A youngster who gets a spinal cord injury post a road accident deserves world-class rehabilitation so he or she can contribute to our economy like any other citizen.
The laws of a country determine how progressive or regressive one is. Passing the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill immediately this winter session of 2016 would mean - “We have chosen the path of progress as a Nation.”
About the Writer
Dr Ketna L. Mehta is founder-trustee of Nina Foundation, an NGO for rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries. She writes extensively in the field of disability studies.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News