Why the RPWD matters to me
December 14, 2016
For deep-rooted permanent change to happen there is a need for updated laws and a mechanism to implement them.
Then truly differences would be leveraged as every child has an inner talent and their positives are applauded rather than be 'labeled' disabled.
The disabled must have equal rights to education, employment, rehabilitation, enterprise, sports, leisure and recreation, property, insurance, travel and more.
The 150 million people with disabilities in our country need to be given equal opportunity to grow and build our nation.
A youngster who gets a spinal cord injury post a road accident deserves world-class rehabilitation so he or she can contribute to our economy like any other citizen.
The laws of a country determine how progressive or regressive one is. Passing the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill immediately this winter session of 2016 would mean - "We have chosen the path of progress as a Nation."
About the Writer
Dr Ketna L. Mehta is founder-trustee of Nina Foundation, an NGO for rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries. She writes extensively in the field of disability studies.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News