Main features of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
December 15, 2016
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill makes it clear that state governments must take steps to ensure that people with disabilities enjoy their rights equally with others.
The types of disabilities have been increased from seven to 21. The central government can add more types of disabilities later.
Speech and language disability and specific learning disability have been added for the first time. So have acid attack victims.
Extra benefits have been provided for persons with high support needs. There is also extra attention being given to ensuring accessibility in public buildings in a fixed time-frame.
An increase from 3% to 4% for students with benchmark disabilities in higher educational institutions has been proposed. There is also a proposal to increase reservation to 4% in government jobs.
The Bill also provides for penalties for offences committed against persons with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News