Main features of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill makes it clear that state governments must take steps to ensure that people with disabilities enjoy their rights equally with others.
The types of disabilities have been increased from seven to 21. The central government can add more types of disabilities later.
Speech and language disability and specific learning disability have been added for the first time. So have acid attack victims.
Extra benefits have been provided for persons with high support needs. There is also extra attention being given to ensuring accessibility in public buildings in a fixed time-frame.
An increase from 3% to 4% for students with benchmark disabilities in higher educational institutions has been proposed. There is also a proposal to increase reservation to 4% in government jobs.
The Bill also provides for penalties for offences committed against persons with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News