Maharashtra school board asked to provide question papers in Braille
Teachers in Maharashtra have asked the state board to provide class 10 and class 12 question papers in Braille for deaf-blind students. These are students who are both visually and hearing impaired.
The teachers have also asked the board to allow these students to write their answers in Braille.
Though there are several concessions for students who are either visually or hearing impaired, there are none for students who have both impairments.
The problem came up this year when a deaf blind student tried to register for the exam. The exam form did not have a category for such students. This is because deafness and blindness are listed separately in the disabilities section.
Hearing or visually impaired students have a writer who helps them during the exam. However, since students with both impairments can neither hear nor see, they are unable to use an interpreter to read the question paper.
Giving the question paper in Braille will help students read it without help. At the moment board authorities do not have facilities to print question papers in Braille, nor teachers who can check papers in Braille.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News