Maharashtra school board asked to provide question papers in Braille
December 6, 2016
Teachers in Maharashtra have asked the state board to provide class 10 and class 12 question papers in Braille for deaf-blind students. These are students who are both visually and hearing impaired.
The teachers have also asked the board to allow these students to write their answers in Braille.
Though there are several concessions for students who are either visually or hearing impaired, there are none for students who have both impairments.
The problem came up this year when a deaf blind student tried to register for the exam. The exam form did not have a category for such students. This is because deafness and blindness are listed separately in the disabilities section.
Hearing or visually impaired students have a writer who helps them during the exam. However, since students with both impairments can neither hear nor see, they are unable to use an interpreter to read the question paper.
Giving the question paper in Braille will help students read it without help. At the moment board authorities do not have facilities to print question papers in Braille, nor teachers who can check papers in Braille.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News