Maharashtra school board asked to provide question papers in Braille
Teachers in Maharashtra have asked the state board to provide class 10 and class 12 question papers in Braille for deaf-blind students. These are students who are both visually and hearing impaired.
The teachers have also asked the board to allow these students to write their answers in Braille.
Though there are several concessions for students who are either visually or hearing impaired, there are none for students who have both impairments.
The problem came up this year when a deaf blind student tried to register for the exam. The exam form did not have a category for such students. This is because deafness and blindness are listed separately in the disabilities section.
Hearing or visually impaired students have a writer who helps them during the exam. However, since students with both impairments can neither hear nor see, they are unable to use an interpreter to read the question paper.
Giving the question paper in Braille will help students read it without help. At the moment board authorities do not have facilities to print question papers in Braille, nor teachers who can check papers in Braille.
Watch in Sign Language
- Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
January 16, 2019
- Some tips for teaching children with Down syndrome
January 11, 2019
- Madhya Pradesh gesture to promote inclusion gets a thumbs up
January 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Headlines January 22, 2019 'Uri: The Surgical Strike' becomes the 1st hit of 2019
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 "I asked for my khukri & cut off my leg"- My Take by Ian Cardozo, 1st war disabled Indian soldier to lead a battalion
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Headlines January 22, 2019 India vs New Zealand - Dhoni close to breaking Sachin's record
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education January 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News