Assistive technology will help government make half of its offices disabled-friendly by 2018: BarrierBreak
The government can beat its own deadline of making at least half of all its buildings disabled-friendly by 2018 by using assistive technology at universities and workplaces, according to BarrierBreak. BarrierBreak is a company in Mumbai which works towards bringing accessible technology to India. ‘Fifty percent of India's 100 million persons with disability are under the age of 30,’ said Shilpi Kapoor, managing director at BarrierBreak, according to an ET Telecom report. ‘We have to set up model resource centres at universities and also make every bank branch accessible,’ she added.
Barrier Break organized the fifth edition of Techshare last week in Delhi, which presented technology for the differently abled. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the 'Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan' (Accessible India Campaign) in December. The Government has allocated Rs.200 crore to this campaign, which was announced at Techshare by Vinod Agarwal, the secretary at the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
‘A very basic centre can be set up at 10 lakh. So, if you look at 700 universities, it's just Rs 70 crore,’ Kapoor said. ‘A resource centre with reasonable accommodations and availability of right assistive technology products can assist in removing the barriers for people with disability and help them in achieving their full potential as individuals in mainstream society.’
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Trump tells India & Pakistan to get along
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Events February 21, 2019 Kalakaar 2.0
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News