Assistive technology will help government make half of its offices disabled-friendly by 2018: BarrierBreak
The government can beat its own deadline of making at least half of all its buildings disabled-friendly by 2018 by using assistive technology at universities and workplaces, according to BarrierBreak. BarrierBreak is a company in Mumbai which works towards bringing accessible technology to India. ‘Fifty percent of India's 100 million persons with disability are under the age of 30,’ said Shilpi Kapoor, managing director at BarrierBreak, according to an ET Telecom report. ‘We have to set up model resource centres at universities and also make every bank branch accessible,’ she added.
Barrier Break organized the fifth edition of Techshare last week in Delhi, which presented technology for the differently abled. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the 'Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan' (Accessible India Campaign) in December. The Government has allocated Rs.200 crore to this campaign, which was announced at Techshare by Vinod Agarwal, the secretary at the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
‘A very basic centre can be set up at 10 lakh. So, if you look at 700 universities, it's just Rs 70 crore,’ Kapoor said. ‘A resource centre with reasonable accommodations and availability of right assistive technology products can assist in removing the barriers for people with disability and help them in achieving their full potential as individuals in mainstream society.’
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Deepika Padukone made 112 crore this year, makes it to top 5 of Forbes’ list
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News