Assistive technology will help government make half of its offices disabled-friendly by 2018: BarrierBreak
March 10, 2016
The government can beat its own deadline of making at least half of all its buildings disabled-friendly by 2018 by using assistive technology at universities and workplaces, according to BarrierBreak. BarrierBreak is a company in Mumbai which works towards bringing accessible technology to India. 'Fifty percent of India's 100 million persons with disability are under the age of 30,' said Shilpi Kapoor, managing director at BarrierBreak, according to an ET Telecom report. 'We have to set up model resource centres at universities and also make every bank branch accessible,' she added.
Barrier Break organized the fifth edition of Techshare last week in Delhi, which presented technology for the differently abled. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the 'Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan' (Accessible India Campaign) in December. The Government has allocated Rs.200 crore to this campaign, which was announced at Techshare by Vinod Agarwal, the secretary at the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
'A very basic centre can be set up at 10 lakh. So, if you look at 700 universities, it's just Rs 70 crore,' Kapoor said. 'A resource centre with reasonable accommodations and availability of right assistive technology products can assist in removing the barriers for people with disability and help them in achieving their full potential as individuals in mainstream society.'
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News