Assistive technology will help government make half of its offices disabled-friendly by 2018: BarrierBreak
March 10, 2016
The government can beat its own deadline of making at least half of all its buildings disabled-friendly by 2018 by using assistive technology at universities and workplaces, according to BarrierBreak. BarrierBreak is a company in Mumbai which works towards bringing accessible technology to India. 'Fifty percent of India's 100 million persons with disability are under the age of 30,' said Shilpi Kapoor, managing director at BarrierBreak, according to an ET Telecom report. 'We have to set up model resource centres at universities and also make every bank branch accessible,' she added.
Barrier Break organized the fifth edition of Techshare last week in Delhi, which presented technology for the differently abled. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the 'Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan' (Accessible India Campaign) in December. The Government has allocated Rs.200 crore to this campaign, which was announced at Techshare by Vinod Agarwal, the secretary at the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
'A very basic centre can be set up at 10 lakh. So, if you look at 700 universities, it's just Rs 70 crore,' Kapoor said. 'A resource centre with reasonable accommodations and availability of right assistive technology products can assist in removing the barriers for people with disability and help them in achieving their full potential as individuals in mainstream society.'
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News