68 lives lost in Kerala floods
August 12, 2019
Floods have caused a massive destruction in the state of Kerala and the death toll has risen to 68 till date due to continuous heavy rains.
As per the chief minister of the state, over 2.20 lakh people have been moved from dangerous areas and have been placed in relief camps. "Over 2.25 lakh people are in 1550 relief camps," said Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
Floods have caused most damage in Northern Kerala districts such as Malappuram, Wayanad and also Idukki, a hill station in central Kerala.
More than 80 landslides have taken place in the region in the past few days and have trapped people at few locations. The operations at the Kochi airport were resumed yesterday afternoon.
An orange alert has been issued for the Kasargode, Kannur, Wayanad, Kozhikode, Malappuram and Idukki districts.
Army, air force and the NDRF are carrying out relief and rescue operations in Kerala as heavy rains continue to lash.
Helicopters are being used to provide food to people in isolated areas. Efforts are being made to ensure that relief material is being made available to those in need.
Railway minister Piyush Goyal tweeted," Railways has announced that no freight charges will be levied on relief material sent to the flood-affected states of Karnataka, Kerala and Maharashtra. We urge you to help us in this effort and send as much relief material as possible, which we will transport for free."
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi visited his Lok Sabha constituency Wayanad in Kerala yesterday to assess the flood situation.
"It is heart-breaking to see what all the people of Wayanad have lost. We will do everything in our power to help them get back on their feet," he tweeted.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Technology August 24, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News