RPWD Act 2016 - Employment benefits
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 provides special employment benefits for people with benchmark disabilities. Benchmark disability means people with at least 40% disability.
The Bill says that 5% of jobs will be reserved for people with benchmark disabilities at government- owned or government-run organizations.
1% of jobs must be reserved for persons with blindness and low vision, hearing and speech impairment, locomotor disability, autism, intellectual disability and mental illness and multiple disabilities.
The government has the right to add more disabilities to this if needed.
Central, state and local governments will give benefits to the private sector to make sure that at least 5% of their employees have disabilities.
5% reservation includes providing agricultural land and housing in all important schemes and programmes, poverty reduction schemes with importance to women with disabilities and provision of land at lower rates for starting a business, a company, among others.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Accessibility October 12, 2018 A Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata that is accessible to visually impaired people
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Education October 12, 2018 Simple accommodations that can make school less stressful for kids with dyslexia
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Parasports October 18, 2018 India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News