My highway to science - My Take
December 24, 2016
I had been attracted to physics since I was a child. There is a family legend where I supposedly opened a stereo system and fixed it.
In class 8, I entered a chemistry lab for the first time. However, I was not allowed to do any work because the teacher could not figure out how a 'blind' person would do chemistry.
It helped that my dad is a civil engineer and my mother is a trained teacher. They helped me build a chemistry lab at home. I practiced there and applied those skills at the school lab.
The next challenge in my journey came after class 10 when I had to select subjects. I had the marks for science but the inaccessibility of the science setup like introductory material and competitive exams forced me to choose commerce.
I then took up science my own way. I am a self-taught computer programmer and a creator in sensory substitution. I use software that allows me to identify images by converting them to sounds.
I have been mentioned in a few papers and thanks to the Internet I am in direct touch with scientists working in various disciplines.
It took significant doses of curiosity and much creativity to get here but the journey is worth it.
The home lab is now a bank of computers and related accessories and I am studying the use of sensors with open hardware platforms such as the Arduino.About the Writer
Pranav Lal is a visually impaired photographer who uses a technology that converts images into sound. Using creativity and technology, he challenges the stereotypes associated with the blind.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News