Talking ATM app for the blind developed by students
January 5, 2017
Demonetisation hit many Indians hard, especially the blind, who like everyone else struggled to access their money and understand the new currency notes. In the midst of all the gloom, comes this thoughtful and much needed technology from students of IIT Madras.
At a special hackathon in Chennai showcasing accessible technologies, the highlight was an app, which makes it easier for the blind to find speech-enabled ATMs.
The founder of the Talking ATM app for the Blind is visually challenged himself. A social entrepreneur called Saidarshan Bagath decided to work on such an innovation as he found that locating ATMs is very hard for the blind.
The app has data on over 11,000 ATM machines of 10 different banks situated across India.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News