Talking ATM app for the blind developed by students
Demonetisation hit many Indians hard, especially the blind, who like everyone else struggled to access their money and understand the new currency notes. In the midst of all the gloom, comes this thoughtful and much needed technology from students of IIT Madras.
At a special hackathon in Chennai showcasing accessible technologies, the highlight was an app, which makes it easier for the blind to find speech-enabled ATMs.
The founder of the Talking ATM app for the Blind is visually challenged himself. A social entrepreneur called Saidarshan Bagath decided to work on such an innovation as he found that locating ATMs is very hard for the blind.
The app has data on over 11,000 ATM machines of 10 different banks situated across India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 New study links high pollution levels to autism, findings a cause for concern for Indian parents
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 The story behind India's 1st inclusive expedition to Kilimanjaro
- Events November 8, 2018 South India Level Blind Volleyball Tournament 2018
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018