Talking ATM app for the blind developed by students
January 5, 2017
Demonetisation hit many Indians hard, especially the blind, who like everyone else struggled to access their money and understand the new currency notes. In the midst of all the gloom, comes this thoughtful and much needed technology from students of IIT Madras.
At a special hackathon in Chennai showcasing accessible technologies, the highlight was an app, which makes it easier for the blind to find speech-enabled ATMs.
The founder of the Talking ATM app for the Blind is visually challenged himself. A social entrepreneur called Saidarshan Bagath decided to work on such an innovation as he found that locating ATMs is very hard for the blind.
The app has data on over 11,000 ATM machines of 10 different banks situated across India.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News