Reaching out to the blind with music - My Take
January 11, 2017
The idea for my initiative came when I was holidaying in Paris with my parents in 2015. We were at a restaurant where the meals were served in complete darkness and the waiters were completely blind.
That stayed in my mind and when I came back to India, I visited a blind school in Delhi. I felt that I should do something.
I started playing my guitar in neighborhood parks and markets to raise funds for the All India Confederation of the Blind. To overcome my fear of playing in public, I started practicing at a low volume in parks at noon when there would be few people. My father joined me so I didn't feel alone. I was also worried about whether the audience will like my music.
My parents were very encouraging. They gave me suggestions while preparing posters and visiting cards. My father also helped me get permissions to play in commercial places.
I got different reactions from family and friends. Many were not sure if I could see it through. Some wondered if I had selfish motives. My family initially suggested I focus more on studies.
Some of the reactions from the public have been very heartwarming. When we practiced in parks, an old gentleman who was listening for a while gave me a flower as appreciation. A lady once purchased pastries for us since she felt we must be tired. Quite often people offer us water.
I feel that such efforts have to become a way of life for all. They have to be regarded as basic courtesies towards society. To progress as a culture, there needs to be more introspection around this in our country.
About the Writer
Chaitanya Sood is a student based in New Delhi. He has launched a forum named 'Sqwalkie Talkies' inviting likeminded children to play next to him.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News