The Cripple who is Whole - My Take
January 20, 2017
My life was perfect. I was 18 years old, a state-level swimmer, and the captain of the Tamil Nadu under-19 girls cricket team. I excelled at everything I did. It seemed that nothing could come in the way of my success.
I was on a college trip to Pondicherry with my friends when a freak accident on the beach turned my world upside down.
I broke my neck and was left paralysed below the neck. Life as I knew it was over.
People who had always viewed me with respect and admiration began to look at me with pity. I was the same person but my life seemed to have no value anymore.
I was an outstanding student but I was denied admission into correspondence courses, and told that there are no lifts, no ramps, don't join.
I was broken in body and spirit.
It was the love for my parents, and a spiritual awakening, that allowed me to see that I was not limited by the body.
I founded Soulfree, a public charitable trust that is working to improve the quality of life for persons with spinal cord injury in India, especially women.
We are fighting great challenges because if a woman in my condition cannot be cared for by her family, she has nowhere to go. This is because there is not even one long-term rehabilitation centre or Independent living facility in India.
Soulfree is working towards setting up such a centre. I request all of you to learn more about spinal cord injury and support our effort.
About the Writer
Preethi Srinivasan is the founder of Soulfree, a public charitable trust that is working towards the rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries, especially women. They are doing this through better opportunities in medical rehabilitation, education, employment and entrepreneurship.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News