The Cripple who is Whole - My Take
January 20, 2017
My life was perfect. I was 18 years old, a state-level swimmer, and the captain of the Tamil Nadu under-19 girls cricket team. I excelled at everything I did. It seemed that nothing could come in the way of my success.
I was on a college trip to Pondicherry with my friends when a freak accident on the beach turned my world upside down.
I broke my neck and was left paralysed below the neck. Life as I knew it was over.
People who had always viewed me with respect and admiration began to look at me with pity. I was the same person but my life seemed to have no value anymore.
I was an outstanding student but I was denied admission into correspondence courses, and told that there are no lifts, no ramps, don't join.
I was broken in body and spirit.
It was the love for my parents, and a spiritual awakening, that allowed me to see that I was not limited by the body.
I founded Soulfree, a public charitable trust that is working to improve the quality of life for persons with spinal cord injury in India, especially women.
We are fighting great challenges because if a woman in my condition cannot be cared for by her family, she has nowhere to go. This is because there is not even one long-term rehabilitation centre or Independent living facility in India.
Soulfree is working towards setting up such a centre. I request all of you to learn more about spinal cord injury and support our effort.
About the Writer
Preethi Srinivasan is the founder of Soulfree, a public charitable trust that is working towards the rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries, especially women. They are doing this through better opportunities in medical rehabilitation, education, employment and entrepreneurship.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News