World's first atlas for the blind made in India
Using maps comes so very naturally to people with sight, but for the blind, this is virtually impossible.
India designs world's first Braille atlasWell, that has now changed with the world's first atlas for the blind released by the Department of Science and Technology. Its a Braille Atlas, a world first! The map has been specially designed for the blind, and can be felt rather than seen. The sense of touch has been highly magnified so people who are blind or low vision can experience it properly. The 84-page Braille atlas is in black-and-white and made on oversized A-3 size paper so that all the information could be easily fitted in.
Braille atlas will be distributed free to blind schoolsThe atlas has been prepared in English, Bengali, Gujarati and Telugu. 500 copies of the braille atlas have been printed so far and these will be given free of cost to blind schools in India. The atlas has 20 maps on different themes like physical, socio-economic, river system, crops pattern, natural vegetation, cultural, metropolitan areas, roads and railways, and crops.
Watch in Sign Language
- Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
December 14, 2018
- Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
December 14, 2018
- Tips to help children with dyscalculia
December 7, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018