Making educational institutions inclusive for all - My Take by Ketna Mehta
I am very optimistic about life. And certain actions in our society give me enough reason to continue being an optimistic!
I was heart warmed when I read a full-page advertisement in the India Today Aspire magazine. The Vivekanand Education Society’s College of Law had the following highlights at the bottom of their advertisement:
Sprawling campus with playground and railing ramps,
Lifts for physically challenged,
Zero waste campus,
CCTV cameras and security guards for safety,
High tech libraries.
This brought a broad smile to my face. In February 2016, the college principal, Jayashree Phadnis, had invited me to speak at their national conference where the topic was - “Evolving as a Smart College- Concepts, Opportunities and Challenges.”
My talk was on “Inclusive smart campus: Design for All”. I explained the need for Universal Design Principles for a barrier free campus. It included training, physical spaces and Technology.
What the VES advertisement mentions are minimum accessibility features, like wheelchairs. There needs to be a holistic approach. Washroom, libraries, classrooms, auditoriums, cafeteria, sports and games, gyms, computer labs, yoga centre and each and every activity have to be made inclusive.
The latest Rio Paralympics win by Deepa Malik obtaining shows that there is gold in each one of us. Equal opportunities and inclusivity can bring awards to our country besides offering a life of dignity for friends with disabilities.
Do our educational institution leaders have their ear to the ground?
About the Writer
Dr Ketna L. Mehta is founder trustee of Nina Foundation, an NGO for the rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News