Making educational institutions inclusive for all - My Take by Ketna Mehta
February 2, 2017
I am very optimistic about life. And certain actions in our society give me enough reason to continue being an optimistic!
I was heart warmed when I read a full-page advertisement in the India Today Aspire magazine. The Vivekanand Education Society's College of Law had the following highlights at the bottom of their advertisement:
Sprawling campus with playground and railing ramps,
Lifts for physically challenged,
Zero waste campus,
CCTV cameras and security guards for safety,
High tech libraries.
This brought a broad smile to my face. In February 2016, the college principal, Jayashree Phadnis, had invited me to speak at their national conference where the topic was - "Evolving as a Smart College- Concepts, Opportunities and Challenges."
My talk was on "Inclusive smart campus: Design for All". I explained the need for Universal Design Principles for a barrier free campus. It included training, physical spaces and Technology.
What the VES advertisement mentions are minimum accessibility features, like wheelchairs. There needs to be a holistic approach. Washroom, libraries, classrooms, auditoriums, cafeteria, sports and games, gyms, computer labs, yoga centre and each and every activity have to be made inclusive.
The latest Rio Paralympics win by Deepa Malik obtaining shows that there is gold in each one of us. Equal opportunities and inclusivity can bring awards to our country besides offering a life of dignity for friends with disabilities.
Do our educational institution leaders have their ear to the ground?
About the Writer
Dr Ketna L. Mehta is founder trustee of Nina Foundation, an NGO for the rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injuries.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News