My journey to world chess champ - My Take by Mallika Handa
February 18, 2017
I was born with no impairments but at the age of one year, I suffered from a very high fever. This led to my becoming deaf.
My parents were unaware that this had happened at the time. As I became older, they realized what had happened.
My mother and father were very worried and sad but they never lost hope. They started me on vocal therapy and everything else that was needed that could help me.
My mother devoted all her precious time towards my care and securing my future. My papa Suresh Handa, my mother Renu Handa and my brother have supported me through every step of my journey towards becoming India's first world gold medalist.
About the Writer
Mallika Handa is one of India's best chess players. The 22-year-old champion has won the national deaf championship three times. She was a silver medalist at the World Championship for the Deaf and the Asian champion at the Asian Individual Chess Championship for the Deaf. She is the current titleholder at the World Individual Open Deaf Chess Championships 2016.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News