My journey to world chess champ - My Take by Mallika Handa
February 18, 2017
I was born with no impairments but at the age of one year, I suffered from a very high fever. This led to my becoming deaf.
My parents were unaware that this had happened at the time. As I became older, they realized what had happened.
My mother and father were very worried and sad but they never lost hope. They started me on vocal therapy and everything else that was needed that could help me.
My mother devoted all her precious time towards my care and securing my future. My papa Suresh Handa, my mother Renu Handa and my brother have supported me through every step of my journey towards becoming India's first world gold medalist.
About the Writer
Mallika Handa is one of India's best chess players. The 22-year-old champion has won the national deaf championship three times. She was a silver medalist at the World Championship for the Deaf and the Asian champion at the Asian Individual Chess Championship for the Deaf. She is the current titleholder at the World Individual Open Deaf Chess Championships 2016.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Events May 26, 2019 31st International Conference on Cancer Research and therapy
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 The thrills & chills of being a showstopper - Guest column by Simran Chawla
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News