How to create an autism-friendly work environment
Autism is a developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact of the affected individual.
It is important for employers to support employees with autism in the workplace by giving them a work environment that allows them to succeed.
Here are tips for creating an autism-friendly workplace:
Have a team that understands and supports autistic employees. It will make them feel welcomed and part of the team.
Always remember that no two people with autism are the same. Their feelings and behaviors can change depending on situations. So, take time to talk to your employees with autism about the small adjustments that will be most helpful for them.
Find out their needs that can be changed at the workplace. For example, changing the lighting or selecting the right desk space can make them feel more comfortable.
Give clear verbal and written instructions. Follow-up if required to help them understand exactly what is required.
Plan a review meeting with the manager regularly to help them progress and discuss any changes to be made.
Watch in Sign Language
- Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
December 11, 2018
- Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
December 6, 2018
- Sign language interpreters at job interviews plays a crucial role. Here is why.
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Deepika Padukone made 112 crore this year, makes it to top 5 of Forbes’ list
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment December 11, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News