Helpful tips for interacting with the vision-impaired
There are some helpful tips and ideas one should keep in mind while dealing with relatives or friends with low vision. These can give you confidence and a better understanding of how to help your relatives or friends.
Identify yourself when you approach those who are visually impaired. Sometimes it is difficult to remember a person by the sound of their voice.
Speak directly to the person in a normal tone of voice.
Ask the person how they would like to be guided or helped. For instance, you can ask whether you should walk on their left or right side.
When accompanying a visually impaired person into an unfamiliar room, never leave them standing alone. Give them a point of reference like a wall or table.
When you enter a room or leave a room, say hello or goodbye. Footsteps and directions are difficult to hear and understand.
It is acceptable to use words such as “you see” or “look” in everyday conversation.
When you offer help, let the person to take your arm so that you can guide them, rather than push or pull.
Those who are visually impaired cannot see the facial expressions, like happiness. Let them share your joy so your feelings in your voice or by touch.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Headlines January 17, 2019 India's D Gukesh is world’s 2nd youngest chess grandmaster
- Headlines January 16, 2019 MeToo: Film industry members defend Raju Hirani
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Events January 16, 2019 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News