Helpful tips for interacting with the vision-impaired
October 20, 2017
There are some helpful tips and ideas one should keep in mind while dealing with relatives or friends with low vision. These can give you confidence and a better understanding of how to help your relatives or friends.
Identify yourself when you approach those who are visually impaired. Sometimes it is difficult to remember a person by the sound of their voice.
Speak directly to the person in a normal tone of voice.
Ask the person how they would like to be guided or helped. For instance, you can ask whether you should walk on their left or right side.
When accompanying a visually impaired person into an unfamiliar room, never leave them standing alone. Give them a point of reference like a wall or table.
When you enter a room or leave a room, say hello or goodbye. Footsteps and directions are difficult to hear and understand.
It is acceptable to use words such as "you see" or "look" in everyday conversation.
When you offer help, let the person to take your arm so that you can guide them, rather than push or pull.
Those who are visually impaired cannot see the facial expressions, like happiness. Let them share your joy so your feelings in your voice or by touch.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 ‘Chaya’, a theatre performance by wheelchair users in Kerala, becomes grand success
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Parasports March 24, 2019 Kerala para athletes climb Nainital’s highest peak, aim to inspire youngsters
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News