Helpful tips for interacting with the vision-impaired
October 20, 2017
There are some helpful tips and ideas one should keep in mind while dealing with relatives or friends with low vision. These can give you confidence and a better understanding of how to help your relatives or friends.
Identify yourself when you approach those who are visually impaired. Sometimes it is difficult to remember a person by the sound of their voice.
Speak directly to the person in a normal tone of voice.
Ask the person how they would like to be guided or helped. For instance, you can ask whether you should walk on their left or right side.
When accompanying a visually impaired person into an unfamiliar room, never leave them standing alone. Give them a point of reference like a wall or table.
When you enter a room or leave a room, say hello or goodbye. Footsteps and directions are difficult to hear and understand.
It is acceptable to use words such as "you see" or "look" in everyday conversation.
When you offer help, let the person to take your arm so that you can guide them, rather than push or pull.
Those who are visually impaired cannot see the facial expressions, like happiness. Let them share your joy so your feelings in your voice or by touch.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News