Helpful tips for interacting with the vision-impaired
There are some helpful tips and ideas one should keep in mind while dealing with relatives or friends with low vision. These can give you confidence and a better understanding of how to help your relatives or friends.
Identify yourself when you approach those who are visually impaired. Sometimes it is difficult to remember a person by the sound of their voice.
Speak directly to the person in a normal tone of voice.
Ask the person how they would like to be guided or helped. For instance, you can ask whether you should walk on their left or right side.
When accompanying a visually impaired person into an unfamiliar room, never leave them standing alone. Give them a point of reference like a wall or table.
When you enter a room or leave a room, say hello or goodbye. Footsteps and directions are difficult to hear and understand.
It is acceptable to use words such as “you see” or “look” in everyday conversation.
When you offer help, let the person to take your arm so that you can guide them, rather than push or pull.
Those who are visually impaired cannot see the facial expressions, like happiness. Let them share your joy so your feelings in your voice or by touch.
Watch in Sign Language
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
- Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
November 17, 2018
- What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
November 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News