Deaf critic movie review of Lion
March 5, 2017
A hearing perspective:
Australian film, Lion is an emotional journey of a man's homecoming. It features Sunny Pawar as younger Saroo, Dev Patel as older Saroo, Rooney Mara as Saroo's girlfriend Lucy, Priyanka Bose as Saroo's real mother Kamla in important roles.
The film starts in the year 1986 when a five-year-old Saroo follows his elder brother Guddu to a job at a railway station nearby Khandwa in India.
When Guddu doesn't return from work, Saroo searches for him and falls asleep in a train.
After many days in train, he finds himself lost in Calcutta.
Unable to find Saroo's family, the city police put him in an orphanage.
In 1987, Saroo moves to Australia under the care of his adoptive parents.
Twenty years later, a young Saroo reveals that he is adopted during a party with his girlfriend Lucy and some Indian friends at their home.
His friends suggest him to use Google Earth to search for his home in India.
The way Saroo finds the area where he lived and reunites with his real mother Kamla is truly heart-touching.
The film is a must watch for its amazing performances, powerful script and beautiful direction.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 #RareDiseases - Attitude key when living with Ataxia
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News