2020 Olympics in Tokyo to have transgender-friendly toilets
Tokyo city in Japan will install gender-neutral public restrooms in the venues being built for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics.
The existing restrooms or toilets for either men or women are wheelchair-friendly but they take up a lot of space to build.
So, the new toilets will be smaller and open to all genders including transgenders.
By giving suitable options to people with physical disabilities and transgenders, the government hopes to reduce the queues for accessing the restrooms.
The initiative also hopes to create awareness about transgenders and promote inclusive approach.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News