Arti Krishnamoorthi, medal winning swimmer with Down syndrome
March 25, 2017
25-year-old Arti Krishnamoorthy has Down's syndrome but that has not stopped her from becoming a medal-winning swimmer.
Arti is from Chennai and has taken part in the 2013 Special Olympics where she won the silver and bronze medals. She trains with every one else as an equal.
Arti was encouraged to take up swimming by her coach, Veerabhadra at the Down syndrome centre. She used to be scared of water but now swimming is like a therapy for her.
She is getting ready to show her ability at the National Paralympic meet in Jaipur this weekend and the next Special Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News