Mumbai teacher who fights odds to teach the deaf
With no financial support, 23-year-old Shabina in Mumbai has been teaching deaf students, kids and adults, for about four years.
Shabina said she decided to start this initiative as she has four elder brothers, all of whom are deaf.
She has taught over 80 students so far. Shabina did her B.Ed. in teaching the hearing impaired from Pune, and a course in sign language from Mumbai.
She teaches for free as most of the students are poor. Her wish is to see her students get decent jobs and succeed in life. She helps students who left studies midway to do their SSC or HSC. She gets them admissions in private schools or colleges so they can give their exams.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News