Say, What? - Story of a world without language - A Review
Say, What? a production by choreographer Avantika Bahl was staged in Mumbai recently. Around 60 people, both Deaf and Hearing, attended the show.
The show was 55 minutes long and was very impressive. The two artistes were Vishal Sarvaiya, who is hearing impaired, and Avantika Bahl used their body language and communication in a unique dance and sign language concept.
Hearing members in the audience said that they got goose bumps during the show.
The concept of the dance is very different. Deaf and hearing people present in the event had different views about the dance performance.
The story conveyed through the dance performance was very good.
About the Writer
The review has been written by Arti Umrotkar who is a member of the Sign Language team at Newz Hook.
About the event:
The event was a new concept of dance by Avantika Bahl and Vishal Sarvaiya, who is a part of the Shiamak Davar dance company.
The dance included sign language merged with bodily movements. The aim of the dance sequence was to show how deaf people feel.
The dance was performed in silence as a tribute to life of people with hearing impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019