Special needs teacher helps people with disabilities give court statements
Mehtab Zia Shaikh, a teacher with more than 30 years of experience at the Bombay Institution for Deaf and Mutes, is using her skills in sign langauge to help in court.
Shaikh recently helped a deaf woman who was raped, give her statement in court. The rape survivor did not speak Indian Sign Language, and could neither read or write. Shaikh, who can communicate in informal and formal sign languages, helped the court understand her testimony.
Shaikh says she is glad and proud that god has made her capable of doing this work.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019