Special needs teacher helps people with disabilities give court statements
April 8, 2017
Mehtab Zia Shaikh, a teacher with more than 30 years of experience at the Bombay Institution for Deaf and Mutes, is using her skills in sign langauge to help in court.
Shaikh recently helped a deaf woman who was raped, give her statement in court. The rape survivor did not speak Indian Sign Language, and could neither read or write. Shaikh, who can communicate in informal and formal sign languages, helped the court understand her testimony.
Shaikh says she is glad and proud that god has made her capable of doing this work.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News