He overcame ADHD to become a certfied swimmer
Shashank Mahesh, who lives in Bengaluru, was diagnosed as an autistic child with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD< when he was four years old.
His parents put him into swimming classes hoping this will reduce his hyperactivity. They never dreamed that this would lead to Shashank becoming a champion swimmer.
He has won three gold medals at the recent 16th National Paraswimming Championship in Udaipur.
It needed a lot of effort to make Shashank understand the strokes and follow them. To get him into water, make him swim and follow instructions was also not easy.
Today he is India's only S14-certified (disability swimming classification) paralympian swimmer. But he is yet to get any financial support from the Karnataka government. His parents have spent their own money in getting him to all the events in India and abroad.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News