Film on disability rights activist, Jeeja Ghosh, wins top honours
A film on the life of Jeeja Ghosh, a differently-abled woman’s activist, has won top honours at the 64th National Film Awards.
Called I am Jeeja, the film shows the life and struggles of cerebral palsy activist Jeeja Ghosh. It won the best film award on a social issue in the non-feature film category.
The director of the film Svati Chakraborty said that she was overwhelmed by Jeeja’s courage and how she was undefeated by her limitations.
The 28-minute documentary tells the journey of Jeeja Ghosh who shot into the limelight in 2012 when a private airline crew pulled her out of a plane at Kolkata airport because the captain felt she was a threat to the flight. In 2016, the Supreme Court ordered the airline to pay her a compensation of Rs 10 lakh.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News