Finding the connection between sign language & dance - My Take by Avantika Bahl
April 18, 2017
As a dancer and choreographer, I am always interested in finding different methods of expression using movement. Contemporary dance gives me the space to work in a way that is conceptual and open to various meanings.
Growing up, I was fascinated by sign language, the soundless communication, and the ability to have private conversations in public spaces. I don't have any friends or family members who are deaf, but wanted to learn how to sign.
There is something special about watching the deaf communicate as sign language is very similar to dance. Both use the body to express oneself.
In 2015, I started learning sign language. It changed my understanding of language and the meaning of communication. It showed me how we rely on one sense organ more than the others.
I decided to find a way to marry movement and sign to create a show with someone whose relationship with sound was completely opposite to mine. I worked with deaf dancer Vishal Sarvaiya on a performance.
I started to learn more about deaf culture, identity and community. Learning to communicate in silence has led to an appreciation of the beauty of signing, that one does not need complicated words but simply be honest to what we communicate.
About the Writer:
Avantika Bahl is a dance practitioner from Mumbai. She studied at the London Contemporary Dance School and helps run Dance Dialogues, a platform that connects independent dance makers in the city.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News