Students develop special toothbrush for cerebral palsy patients
Evit John and Sai Nivedita, students of the Manipal College of Dental Sciences, have developed a toothbrush that will help persons with cerebral palsy.
They presented their model and won an award at the university's annual business plan contest.
John said he decided to work on this after seeing a YouTube video on cerebral palsy patients.
Cerebral palsy is a disorder caused by a brain injury or malformation during a child’s brain development. It mainly affects body movement and muscle coordination.
In the video, John learned about a person with cerebral palsy who talked about how difficult it was for him to do basic things like brushing teeth.
The toothbrush developed has a wider handle and the grip is specific to each patient. It has three-headed bristles with one straight pattern and two rotational.
The team are in talks with many companies to launch it commercially.
Watch in Sign Language
- Microsoft introduces real-time captions, translations to Skype, PowerPoint
December 17, 2018
- Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
December 10, 2018
- Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
- Events December 17, 2018 AADI Winter festival 2018!
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Events December 17, 2018 Tycoons Rotary Marathon
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018